Aspiring Young Professional Student Scholarship
Recognizing that COVID-19 has had financial impacts on many people, that cost is often a barrier to post-secondary education, and that being a student can come with its own set of financial challenges. The ASIS Ottawa Chapter 140 is pleased to announce that we will be offering a scholarship opportunity to local post-secondary students completing studies in a security-related discipline!
Students from post-secondary institutions in the National Capital Region will be eligible to apply and participate by submitting a 500-1000 word paper in English or French on one of the following topics:
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Security
- Effects of Evolving Technology and Automation in the security industry.
- Changes you would make to the guard force industry in Canada/Ontario.
- Where do you see the future of Emergency Management and Business Continuity going?
- Other related security topics
In order to be eligible for consideration, students must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a post-secondary student in the National Capital Region enrolled in a current program or starting in the Fall of 2021.
- Applicant must be completing studies in one of the following (or equivalent) areas of study OR be involved on campus in a security or safety-related role (e.g. Student Safety Patrollers):
- Police Foundations / Law and Security Administration
- Law / Criminology
- Infrastructure Protection
- Risk Management
- Political Science / Public Administration with a focus on security-related topics
- Must submit a completed paper following the format requirements outlined in the evaluation criteria by the submission deadline.
Students will have the opportunity to submit an optional abstract of their paper before the submission deadline. The abstract must contain the following:
- Clearly define the overall purpose of the study and research problem(s) investigated.
- Show a basic design of the study, outlining major findings or trends based on analysis.
- Provide a brief summary of the interpretations and conclusions
Scholarships will be awarded in the following amounts:
- 1st Place: $3000 CAD and an ASIS Student Membership
- 2nd Place: $2000 CAD and an ASIS Student Membership
- 3rd Place: $1000 CAD and an ASIS Student Membership
Our desire is to support these future young professionals in their studies and introduce them to the networking opportunities provided by membership and participation in our local chapter. Becoming an ASIS International member will provide you with a broad range of member-exclusive digital tools and content plus substantial savings on webinars, e-learning courses, and virtual events to enhance your skills, grow your network, and raise your professional profile—at any stage of your career!
Paper and Abstract Submissions will be accepted below.
- Abstract Submission Deadline: July 9th, 5 pm EST
- Paper Submission Deadline: August 16th, 5:00 pm EST
In early September, scholarship winners will be announced and have the opportunity to have their paper featured on the ASIS Ottawa Chapter Website.
Questions regarding the scholarship may be directed to Vice.Chairperson@ASISChapter140.org.